It has been weeks since I posted last and this is all the further I have come on Becky's Spring. First of all, choosing the pattern of colored strips was very time consuming. As I worked my way down the ladder, the wider strips got more and more bunched up and wrinkled so when I approached the end I took it all apart (keeping the chosen order intact) and made those strips a little more narrow. Weaving again, I measured the width and found that I lost an inch (an inch!!) from middle to end. I took it apart again. Now the strips were getting well handled and the turned edges unturned. I had to re-press each strip as I wove it. This time I measured across every time I added a strip and measured lengthwise to be sure the strips were at right angles to the long sides. Sometimes after I had pinned the strip I found on the next measurement that something had moved and the width again was shrinking. Now the width is uniformly 15 3/4 inches, although looking down the length shows little wobbles in the lengthwise strips. That is too bad. Basting this down is the next step. Hopefully I will be able to get it sewed together without too much distortion.
This is only half of the runner. I still have to repeat the process on the other end. Weaving such a long piece has turned out to be much harder than the 10" square I did for Dee's Hearts for Charleston (duh). It has allowed me to integrate the colors I want into a single entity, but whew...I hope it will be worth the effort.